When it comes to flooring, most homeowners are usually faced with a few choices. Two of the most common flooring options available are hardwood and carpet, with many homeowners opting to use either of them in their bedrooms, living rooms, or dining rooms. In order to help you make an easier decision when choosing either hardwood or carpet, let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of both.
Hardwood is a popular choice for those looking for an elegant look and are willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort to get it. Here are some pros and cons of hardwood flooring.
- Wood enhances the beauty of a room, and it also gives off a sense of durability. The visual appeal of hardwood is a big attraction for many, especially those who are looking to sell their home soon. Hardwood can really boost the value of your home and make it much more attractive to potential buyers.
- Unlike carpet, wood does not collect dust and allergens very easily, making it a safer flooring option if anyone in your home has sensitive allergies or asthma.
- Hardwood can be damaged easily under certain conditions; it can be vulnerable to warping and expanding in humid conditions, and things like dirt and pet nails can cause scratches and gouges if you are not careful to take preventative measures.
- If installed incorrectly, hardwood floors can buckle against a wall.
- Wood floors can fade over time, reducing their visual appeal.
Carpet flooring can be found in countless homes and is often installed with comfort in mind, here’s a look at some advantages and disadvantages of this flooring option.
- Carpet provides underfoot comfort, which can be beneficial to your health if you plan on spending a long time in a carpeted room.
- Carpet is a natural insulator and can provide additional warmth when the weather starts to get cold.
- Carpet cushions slips and falls, which is especially beneficial for households with small children. This extra cushion is also going to save a few breakable objects from smashing apart should they happen to fall off of a table or shelf.
- Some patterned carpets have loops that can get pulled and snagged on items, which results in damage to the carpet.
- Patterned carpets needs to be properly coordinated with the other items in the room if you want the room to look good. This will sometimes make it more difficult to shop for carpet flooring.
- Olefin carpets are a popular type of carpet that soil very easily, turning up the risk of damage significantly should you choose to put one in your home.